Sunday, April 29, 2012

Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon


Friday marked the last day of classes! I cannot believe that this year is almost over. My dad flew into town Friday afternoon to help me get a head start on packing and to run in the OKC Memorial Marathon!
 Yesterday we volunteered at the Oklahoma City Memorial Marathon Expo held at the Cox Convention Center. Kids were already running around the arena excited for the race!
After helping at registration we went to the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum. What an incredible place full of western history. I absolutely loved the historical paintings, saddles, boots and artifacts. My favorite artifact was a feather Native American Headdress that was a good foot taller than me! I can't imagine how heavy it would have been while wearing it!
It was so exciting to see so many people at the Memorial Run this morning. Thousands of people of all ages came out to participate. As a safety net runner I ran alongside the kids and encouraged them to keep going. Its amazing how much a simple, "Look at you go! You are so fast!" will cheer a child up and make them want to accomplish even more. One little girl I saw was struggling to keep the motivation to finish even though she was only a block away from the finish. I came up beside her and told her how well she was doing. She looked up, smiled and began to run even faster and finished the race with a huge smile on her face! 
As the summer months approach and the weather becomes nicer I encourage you to find an exercising buddy. Find someone that you want to encourage, or be encouraged by to get 60 minutes of physical activity a day. Having someone to be active with is much more fun and also keeps you accountable! 

Love,
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment