Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fall, Candy, Treats and Sweets!

There's no question that Halloween and Fall Harvest parties are just right around the corner. As I walked through the grocery store I couldn't help but notice the candy laden and sugary treat saturated grocery isles. On average 41 million Americans will go trick-or-treating  will eat 1.2 pounds of candy a piece! This is a tremendous amount of candy!

With all of this information many parents are wary of letting their children even go trick-or-treating because of the immense amount of sugar they bring home. Instead of completely banning candy we should use this season as an opportunity to teach kids about eating everything in moderation.

I used to love filling my pumpkin bag to the top with goodies at my church's harvest party! My parents taught me that it is ok to have a few pieces of candy, but not the whole bag at one time.

One of my really good family friends would have her children make individualized "Treat Bags" and place all of their candy inside of them. If her children asked to have a treat they could pick a few pieces from the bag and save the rest for later! This way the candy would be spread out over 4-6months and the kids looked forward to having a small dessert when they wanted it.

Love,
Victoria



P.S.

How do you fix a broken Jack-O'-Lantern?

Take it to the pumpkin patch!!

No comments:

Post a Comment